Monday, January 21, 2008

Looking for a Sewing Machine

So...it has finally come to this. A serious effort in looking for a sewing machine. Since my sewing experience is rudimentary at best, a result of having had someone else do my sewing projects back in grade school, no home ec in high school, and minimal sewing done (mostly darning) over the years, my knowledge of a sewing machine is zilch. Not exactly zilch; I do know how one looks, as well as the new permutations. I just don't know how to use it. My mom used a Singer manual sewing machine eons ago but she never taught me how. (She said I was never interested in anything domestic, thus she had to make do with my brother who was.)

Enough reminiscing, I've been scouring forums and reviews in the hopes that it might help me decide on which brand and model to buy. I initially wanted a Bernette 65 as it was what a dealer recommended for a beginner like me. I watched her demonstrate and it was like a whole new world opened before my eyes. I was so impressed with the way she picked what seam she was going to use, how she adjusted the tension and even how she managed to make a buttonhole in seconds. I wanted to buy that machine there and then but V was reluctant to do so as we haven't done research yet.

Which explains my current dilemma. I have already read dozens of reviews and now I'm torn. Some say since Janome makes the Bernette series to get Janome instead. Then, I also discovered that Janome also makes some of Kenmore machines which makes me wonder if there was this conspiracy among these brands. The upside to this is that the parts are easier to find, I think.

Well...I'll just have to keep looking.

No comments: