Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Learned to sew stitches on an Industrial Sewing Machine

Had my first class on garment construction yesterday. I thought it would be the patternmaking class. It was a good thing, I brought the little items with me in my tin can. I didn't want to spend on a big sewing box so I made use of what was available. Then I saw the sewing box my classmates have and mentally slapped my hand on my forehead. Everything would fit in there! Even those long dangerous looking tailor sheers.

So, we have Maida for our teacher. After some intro, we each selected a machine (an industrial sewing machine) and had to learn how to wind a bobbin, thread the machine and check the tension of the thread. At first, I got a bad machine, it wasn't winding the bobbin so I had to select another machine. The one that caught my eye was the automatic ones since there were no non-automatic ones available.

It was fun after I got the hang of it. You just need to tap the foot pedal lightly. The first time I pressed it without thinking and my needle broke. Good thing I was wearing my glasses or the splinter would've have hit my eye.

I managed to finish the 4 lessons that day. I surprised myself and my teacher. She asked if I had done any sewing and I said, nope. Yippee for me.

No comments: