Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Feeling the Fool

Not really though 3 weeks into the new school year and I'm having a bit of a self-reflection of what I've gotten myself into. So far, I've learned how to weave (wafting as a classmate calls it. From weft to right) then I've learned how to knit (repeat after me: plain and purl, plain and purl). Seriously, my fingers became stiff after a whole day of knitting. It didn't help that I was knitting the wrong way when I've finished a square piece. =P

I've also learned how easy it is to do lingerie. We've done 2 kinds already, one is a g-string which was really fun to do. The other was a normal pair of undies. Next week, we're finishing the boylet (or was it boyleg) cut. Yep, we're using lace. Amazing how you can do those itsy-bitsy little thingies and how much they charge for them at the department stores.

For styling and couture, we're doing a corset. And we've done it by draping calico over the mannequin, unlike the flat patternmaking we were doing in first year. Unfortunately, I had to redrape because after I took the calico off the mannequin and traced it on cardboard, I made all the curved lines straight. Then after I corrected my pattern, cut out the calico for fitting, sewn the panels together, I thought I might fiddle with my patterns because the panels didn't match perfectly (there were teensy weensy excesses). Of course, once I did that and re-cut the calico, the panels definitely didn't matched so I had to retrace the draped panels onto cardboard. But it's good. I'm learning what I shouldn't do. =P

Will post photos later. =)

2 comments:

sarah said...

i know to you it may seem normal, but to me your life sounds so interesing... its like i`m watching tv :p does that make any sensE??

Driven said...

i hope it's not like those weird reality tv programs. =PPP