Friday, June 12, 2009

Fabric Buying

Spent a lot buying fabrics. I already bought about a metre and a half of black Italian wool but I wasn't sure it would be enough. Also, there were patches where the wool was "damaged" in some way. Since it was a remnant of a private collection and it was being sold dirt cheap, literally, at AUD10.00 per metre, it wasn't a bad bargain. In the end, I got the remaining roll for AUD5.00.

But I was still worried it wouldn't be enough for my tailored jacket so I went with E, V and R to check out this wool place in Richmond. Talk about "Whoah!". The place had so much wool to choose from. And they allow students to purchase even though they were a wholesale business (from what I gathered). Anyway, I bought 3 metres of wool/cashmere (80% wool and 20% cashmere). I wanted the 97% cashmere/ 3% wool combination but at AUD89.00 per metre, it was way out of my budget. Sigh. 

I just love fabric places especially those with lovely natural fibre fabrics. They're just so great to be in. 

2 comments:

sarah said...

I also love fabric places! They make me imagine such gorgeous things!

There's a Richmond in Australia? It's my surname and oneday I would love to do a Richmond tour of places all over the world. Kinda feel like I own them through birth right :$

Driven said...

I have a habit of feeling the fabric when I get into a fabric store. I just loooove feeling them especially the silk. =)

Yep, there's even a Richmond in Sydney. I think these two Richmonds were named after the Richmond in UK. A lot of the places here are named after the places in UK so it's not surprising to find similar named places here.

You could say, "Indeed. These are mine as they are mine by birth right." =P How ancient sounding does that sound????? lol