Friday, June 19, 2009

Updates on Knitwear and Tailored Jacket

Soo...in knitwear, we're using knitting machines from the 1970s. The ones where you move your hand right to left while the yarn gets knitted. First time I used it, all my knitting was soo bad. 2nd time, I had awesome results even when I used the punch cards. Then when someone else started using the machine, their knitting got wrecked. Temperamental machines. At least, we're not doing any hand knitting.

Things I learned in knitting. In doing the toile, think in terms of rectangles. Don't force the fabric to work like woven fabrics because it won't do. Let the fabric drape as it wants. Learn what types of ply and yarns there are before buying any yarns. The last one is for me to remember since we'll be buying our yarns next week. I don't really like merino wool. I prefer yarns that are soft like cashmere. I'll have to watch my budget though. Note to self: do not waste wool.

For the tailored jacket. I finished my toile. I finished cutting my fabrics. Done with the fusing as well. Learned another valuable lesson: Think before cutting the fabric. Sigh. Not only did I cut the wrong side but I also ran out of fabric and Clegs doesn't sell the red wool I wanted anymore. A boink in the head for me.

Wasn't exactly a disaster since T, my teacher, told me to just use the reverse of the cut fabric. So, that's that. 

Oh, and must deal with the different shades of my wool. I burnt the wool on my back panels so T said we'll have to burn the other panels as well for consistency. But that's for when I've finished everything and would just be doing the final press. Sigh. Continue pad stitching...

2 comments:

sarah said...

I can't imagine for one second how you do it. I can't even thread a needle. Or sew on a button. How sad is that??? Can we still be friends?

Driven said...

don't worry. i wasn't even domesticated until 3 years ago. and i didn't start learning how to sew properly until a year ago. heheheh