Monday, May 3, 2010

Flat Pattern Hat

Remember what I wrote about me not being artsy-crafty? Well, here's proof that I'm not. 

My first hat. It was such a disappointment even after I did several revisions. The skull cap wasn't the issue since I did a fairly good job of doing the patterns and toiled it a number of times. No, it was the actual petals that gave me the biggest disappointment. 

I thought that I could just use a hat stiffener to make the silk dupion stiff but after using quite a bit of it and letting it dry that the fabric barely got stiff. I experimented with hairs spray and wood glue but none worked. It was only on the day of submission that I realised I should have used wires to give the petals shape. But it was already too late since I've bagged out the petals and glued them together.

Lesson learned: Think everything through and don't assume reality would conform to imagination. 




No comments: