Saturday, September 11, 2010

Fun Ladies

was the lasting impression I have after I left my retail work placement at Blue Illusion Malvern.

My feet hurt from standing the entire day. I absolutely have no idea how Esta and Jane do it. They were marvelous people. They knew almost 90% of all the customers who came in. It was what customer service should be in a retail store. They greeted them if not immediately, at least while they're in store. If they're repeat customers, they chat to them about their families, their recent vacations. They ask them what they want to see in store. They give them honest feedback about the clothes they're trying it on. And what's more, they know how to sell add ons if not upsell. If the customer says its not a good fit, they give them another size. If they say, it's too dark, they give them a lighter colour. They don't just let them go.

And all the while, they were patient, fun and always moving. The only break they had was when they have to go to the ladies' room. They even eat lunch while working!

I think I did ok. I wasn't as great as they were. Also, I think the customer don't really trust my judgement because I'm younger than they are. But I don't really mind. I got what I wanted out of it, which was to see and experience how retail works. What I saw was how retail is supposed to be and what makes BI Malvern one if not the best grossing stores among all the BI stores. They know how to take care of customers but they know how to treat the store as a business as well. They really enjoy what they're doing (they've been with BI for more than a decade) and it really shows.



No comments: