Wednesday, September 15, 2010

MYER Group Interview

I didn't think I'd enjoy it although I did prep myself not to take it seriously and just to have fun. Especially since I thought I would be late for the interview as I left the house much later than planned. The tram was a bit slow, or maybe that was just me but surprise! surprise! I got to the city with plenty of time to spare. I quickly dashed into OfficeWorks to buy a folder since the email said to bring the resume.

I arrived at the MYER Learning Centre after following a very long corridor to find people in suits and very business looking attires sitting at the lounge area. And I noticed a friendly face from school! How's that? There was a bit of a wait then a lady came around asking for our names. Mine and Jo's and another's girl's name weren't there so we had to write down our names. Then they called us into a room with tables that had a maximum of 10 chairs each. But for our table, we had 8 since we were the last to come in, which turned out great in the end since nobody tried to dominate the conversation. I hope I didn't. I know I spoke a lot but I also tried to involve the other two guys who weren't very outspoken to speak up.

But before that, the HR Manager introduced herself and the other 3 ladies who would be monitoring us. Then she told us a bit of the company, what the general benefits are for team members, a brief history of the company, what the company is currently doing with their buildings, etc.

Then she gave us a problem-solving task. We had to come up with 5 key points in line with the store's international image. She said while we had to answer the questions, the main thing that they would be looking at would be how the discussion in each table would go. That's when I was glad that we had fewer people in our table as it would be harder to speak up in a bigger group.

The second part was a role-playing task. We were put in pairs and we had to play the part of a seller and a customer. We have to show that we know how to provide excellent customer service but at the same time how to sell products.

After that, it was done and we were thanked for coming.

For the results, we were told that we would be informed of the results after 3 weeks. If we didn't pass, we can apply again after 6 months. If we did pass, they'd keep our resume for 6 months while they try to match our qualifications with available positions.

And that's how it went. =)

No comments: